Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Normal Day

Normal, Everyday Pictures...


One blog I follow ( www.enjoyingthesmallthings.blogspot.com) is such a great inspiration to me on some days. Of course, not every entry she writes is life-changing, but a few have resonated with me, and more importantly, stayed with me. I think about something she wrote about long ago...a poem..
Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day, I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."
"Anonymous"

Today -- March 1st, 2011 was a dull-normal day, starting with an early alarm, a rushed Tuesday morning, with sick babies. A day at school, with no life changing breakthrough and a lot of mind-numbing, repetitive behavior control. A stop at the grocery store turned into FINALLY getting home to my babies. My sick babies... I held one, while the other pawed and whined for me. I cooked dinner and then their bath... And THEN I stopped and thought to myself... STOP!...and enjoy. So, we did. We sat and cuddled and sang and danced, we watched the movie "UP" (best movie ever btw) and Henley said her first Rollllll Tide!
As with anyone else, I dream of tomorrow, of some perfect and realized dream in the future. Reality is -- it's HERE! Cliche, I know, but so true.
I stopped and I enjoyed, and I thank God for my normal day. What a treasure it was...






2 comments:

The Yates said...

great post! so true! enjoyed seeing ya'll the other night.

MRH said...

That poem used to be on the first page in a coffee table book that Mother had when I was growing up--Leaves of Gold. I would read it over and over and, at one time back then, had it memorized. I always loved it, thought about it so many of the days of my life---both normal and far-from-normal. I'm so glad you love it, too, Coco. What a precious daughter you are!